cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RME database reinit problem

nawas
Level 4
Level 4

I tried to reint RME database, script ran find when I went back to CiscoWorks and RME, it is reporting that it still has 74 devices, I oringinally had 248 devices. Do I need to redo the reint process? I'm attaching screen capture of the reinit process.

7 Replies 7

nawas
Level 4
Level 4

Here is the attachment

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It looks like the reinit worked, but if you only reinitialized rmeng, then the Common Services CMF database still has all of its devices. Therefore, if RME auto-manage is enabled (this is the default) then RME will immediately being re-managing the devices in DCR as soon as it starts up.

No, I disabled RME auto-manage before I even started the database reinit. I no longer trust RME auto manage, I'm therefore maintaining a CSV file for inventory.

I'm going to reinit again and see if it helps. I will keep you posted.

Joe, you are ALWAY very helpful!!!

This setting is stored in the database. So every time you reinit, it will go back to being enabled.

It sounds like you don't trust discovery. If you want tight control over what goes into DCR, reinitialize ALL of your databases, then disable Device Discovery in Campus Manager, and regularly import your devices from CSV. This way, you can keep auto-manage enabled, and still have tight control over what devices are managed.

Can I not leave discovery enabled for Campus manager but disable device synchronization from Campus to RME?

Not anymore in LMS >2.5.

Note: DISCOVERY is not needed for Campus Manager. Device Discovery is only used to populate DCR. Since it sounds like you have your own method to populate DCR, Discovery is most likely not needed.

What is required for Campus Manager to be able to manage devices is Campus Data Collection. That is independent of Discovery, and operates on all, or a subset of, devices in DCR.

Therefore, you can disable Device Discovery, and still have a fully functional LMS.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco