Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco switch not keeping VTP information on reload

chris.lepa
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am configuring a couple Cisco 2960G switches and for some reason, the VTP information (mode client/domain) doesn't stay in the configuration upon reload (after a copy run start of course). The switches aren't connected together, or to any other network, we're just boxing them and shipping after configs are done.

Is this supposed to happen? If anyone could clarify this for me, that would be great.

-Chris

4 Replies 4

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Chris,

In VTP client mode, VLAN configurations are not saved in NVRAM. So what you are observing is an expected behavior.

In VTP server mode, VLAN configurations are saved in NVRAM.When the switch is in VTP transparent mode, the VTP and VLAN configurations are saved in NVRAM.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

I know VLAN informatin isn't stored or configured while in client mode, but it doesn't save the VTP domain name or mode? It's weird... I also looked, and I don't seem to have a vlan.dat file in my flash directory.

Oh nevermind, I think I understand now. When I kept it in server mode and configured the domain, it stayed after reload. Thanks for you help, Ankur!

-Chris

Hi Chris,

Just a brief info, you may save the information also if you keep the VTP Mode Transparent.

HTH,

Regards,

Wilson Samuel

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card