Views
Helpful
Replies

Supervisor 2 and 6500 series switch

craig.eyre
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have 2 WS-X6K-sup2-2ge blades for my 6509 and was wondering if they can be converted to work with IOS?

I've read that the sup1 and sup2 cannot work with IOS in a 4500, but can they be converted for a 6509?

Also, if it is possible can I just use the edi configuration translator utility by Cisco?

Thanks

4 Replies 4

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Craig,

Yes you can convert sup 1 and sup 2 on Cat6k to IOS which is also clled as Native IOS.

You can use config translator to convert the CATOS config to IOS config which converts most of the config lines but few are not converted which you have to configure manually.

You can have a look at this link which will guide you how to convert from CATOS to IOS

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/81.html#bootintegratedios

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Hi Ankur,

Is the conversion the same if I "don't need to retain the original settings"

I'm adding these to a lab environment and can totally wipe out the system if need be.

Thanks,

Hi Craig,

I did not understood your first line "Is the conversion the same if I "don't need to retain the original settings""

Can you please explain again please?

When you convert from CATOS to IOS you have to perform formatting of flash in one of the steps while following the procedure so you will loose everything so you can just save your CATOS config which you can use in translation tool to convert from CATOS to IOS and also recommend you to save the config which you must be having on MSFC.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Thanks,

You answered my question with your explanation of the conversion.

Thanks again

Craig

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card