Views
Helpful
Replies

Receiving multiple events/alerts in a single trap

goodman.k
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

DFM is configured to forward events and alerts as traps to my trap receiver, and it is forwarding ok, except...a majority of the traps received have multiple alerts/events imbedded in the trap, for example, the alarmDescription field for one trap is:

IF-172.18.254.241/2 [PO4/0] [172.18.252.17]:HighUtilization; IF-172.18.254.241/2 [PO4/0] [172.18.252.17]:HighQueueDropRate; IF-172.18.254.241/2 [PO4/0] [172.18.252.17]:HighDiscardRate; 172.18.28.26 [172.18.254.241]:Unresponsive;

Is there a config option somewhere in DFM that will send individual traps for each alert/event received? These long (multiple) descriptions are causing problems, some are more than 255 characters and my trap receiver cannot handle it, plus, I need to process single events one at a time so that each problem can be address individually. Although it seems that all events in the string are from the same 'source', different problems exists for different ports/resources.

Thanks....Keith

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

See this thread on disabling alert notifications. If you only want one event per trap, do not enable alerts in your notification group:

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Network%20Infrastructure&topic=Network%20Management&CommCmd=MB?cmd=pass_through&location=outline@^1@@.1dde6902/0#selected_message

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

See this thread on disabling alert notifications. If you only want one event per trap, do not enable alerts in your notification group:

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Network%20Infrastructure&topic=Network%20Management&CommCmd=MB?cmd=pass_through&location=outline@^1@@.1dde6902/0#selected_message

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: