Views
Helpful
Replies

hardware set up

cisco steps
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I just connectected comm-server 2511 to 2x 2610 router with async cable 8rj>45.. ethernet 1 goes to R1 and ethernet 2 goes to R2.. now I have 2950 switch that have only console port how do I connect the 2950 switch to the 2511 comm-server since it does not have any ethernet, my console port on 2511 is connected to my pc ..

thanks

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

Use one of the Async interfaces from the comm-server to connect to the console port of the 2950.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

View solution in original post

Hi,

You are always welcomed :)

First use the CAB-OCTAL-ASYNC cable to connect all your devices to the comm-server to have console access to all your devices, afterwards we can discuss your lab needs and topology.

HTH, please do rate all helpful replies,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Hi Karim,

I am very glade that you are enjoying your lab :)

Just to refresh you, here you are all that you need on the comm-server:

interface loopback 0

ip address x.x.x.x y.y.y.y

line 1 16

transport input telnet

stopbits 1

and then do the reverse telnet:

telnet x.x.x.x 2nnn

where nnn = the line number, ex: if 8 then nnn = 008.

Before doing this do show line, and make sure that there is no * beside the line before doing this, and if there is a * do clear line x until the * disappear.

Take care and enjoy, and i am waiting for your next question :)

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

13 Replies 13

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

Use one of the Async interfaces from the comm-server to connect to the console port of the 2950.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

hi again mohammed

what cable should I use ? it looks like the async interface have more pins. is this some combination of cable that I need to use..

Thanks

Hi,

You should be using the CAB-OCTAL-ASYNC cable, and since the CAB-OCTAL-ASYNC cable is itself rolled, you can connect each cable directly to the console ports of devices with the RJ-45 interfaces.

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Thanks .. I did that .. but when I do show cdp neighbors detail , I am not seeing anything . I get

2511sw#show cdp neighbors

Capability Codes: R - Router, T - Trans Bridge, B - Source Route Bridge

S - Switch, H - Host, I - IGMP, r - Repeater

Device ID Local Intrfce Holdtme Capability Platform Port ID

am I suppose to see R1 and 2950sw ? or this require more config ON ( R1 and 2950sw )

Thanks

Hi,

CDP don't run over console ports, accordingly it won't show CDP neighbors in this manner.

Mohammed Mahmoud.

lol.. thanks MO. you know that I was comming with more questions here it is ...

how I am suppose to connect to those router ?

I was going to create new conversation on since you already answered my hardware question..

Thanks

Hi,

You are always welcomed :)

First use the CAB-OCTAL-ASYNC cable to connect all your devices to the comm-server to have console access to all your devices, afterwards we can discuss your lab needs and topology.

Mohammed Mahmoud.

just to let you know Mo . I just find out from last notes that I need to configure the loopbac0 Interface.. I am in the porocess of doing that ... hope things will work .. Thanks for you help

karim

Hi Karim,

I am very glade that you are enjoying your lab :)

Just to refresh you, here you are all that you need on the comm-server:

interface loopback 0

ip address x.x.x.x y.y.y.y

line 1 16

transport input telnet

stopbits 1

and then do the reverse telnet:

telnet x.x.x.x 2nnn

where nnn = the line number, ex: if 8 then nnn = 008.

Before doing this do show line, and make sure that there is no * beside the line before doing this, and if there is a * do clear line x until the * disappear.

Take care and enjoy, and i am waiting for your next question :)

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Hey Mo

here is what I did

interface loopback 192.168.10.10 255.255.255.0

line 1 16

line transport telnet

2511sw#telnet 192.168.10.10 2001

Trying 192.168.10.10, 2001 ...

% Connection refused by remote host

I did ip host r1 2001 192.168.10.10

..stillgeting the same error..

I did clear line 1

still getting * on 0 1 and 2

2511sw#show session

% No connections open

2511sw#

Hi Karim,

Please past your entire configuration, show ip interface brief and sh line.

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Mo . you know I add no exec.. to the config and now I am able to connect to r1.. I am not near the lab today .. but will let you know if any questions ..

thanks /

Hi Karim,

I am glade it worked out, but this is not logical as "no exec" is just used for security measures ensuring that the line never becomes unavailable due to a rogue EXEC process (To insure that unwanted signals from the attached device can't launch an EXEC session to the comm-server).

Please use this document as a reference, and please never hesitate for further questions:

Configuring a Terminal/Comm Server

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk801/tk36/technologies_configuration_example09186a008014f8e7.shtml

And again, please do enjoy your lab :)

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card