Possible to remotely configure IP phone?

Unanswered Question
May 15th, 2007

I have a user at a remote site whose router and phone were recently reset to defaults (I suspect "local admins" i.e. kids playing, but I don't know for sure how it happened).

I was able to get her router configured and the IPSEC tunnel up, and now I am working on the phone. The phone gets the correct IP address via a DHCP reservation, but it has no data for Call Manager or TFTP server, and DHCP server on the router isn't smart enough to deliver those options with the reply.

Is there any way to remotely configure a 7940 IP phone? I have IP connectivity to the phone and can get to the web interface.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 3 (1 ratings)
thisisshanky Tue, 05/15/2007 - 14:54

You cannote remotely set the ip via http. But you can always walk somebody through setting those options. If you cant give out option 150 via DHCP, you can always do static configuration on the phone.

a. Hit settings button

b. Hit **# to unlock settings

c. Go to option 30, set DHCP Enabled to No.

d. Go to option 6, push Edit, set the ip address. Use * key or . soft key to put a dot between ip addresses

e. Go to option 7, push Edit, set the subnet mask.

f. Go to option 8, push Edit, set the TFTP server.

h. Go to option 9, push Edit, set the Default router.

i. Click Save soft key.

j. Reset phone.

PS: please remember to rate posts!

olighec Tue, 05/15/2007 - 15:00

Thanks. I was hoping I wouldn't have to do that, but I will go ahead and call her and try to walk her through the configuration.

This Discussion