Level 1
Level 1

How do I disable DHCP?

5 Replies 5

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Rod

I am not clear about what you are asking. Are you asking how to prevent the router from acting as a DHCP server (the easy answer is to configure no service dhcp, the more complex but better answer is to not configure any DHCP scopes on the router. Or are you asking how to prevent the router from forwarding any DHCP requests from the local LAN to a remote DHCP server (do not configure ip helper-address). Or are you asking how to create an access list that will deny inbound DHCP requests (deny udp host 0.0.0.0 host 255.255.255.255 eq bootps).

If you can clarify your question then perhaps we can provide the best answers.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick,

Thanks for your qick response.

I am trying to set up MS Small Businss Server and use it as the DHCP server. Unfortunately I am not 100% sure of my needs either. I have done this before with a standard domestic router (Netgear or the like) and it was simply a matter of disabling DHCP.

Essentially I want the Server to assign IP's on the LAN.

So I think I want to "Configure No Service DHCP"

Hi

You can disable the DHCP service on a cisco router by giving the command "no service dhcp"

Regards

JD

Thanks heaps, we are getting there.

Rod

Just to clarify a bit: many routers (especially routers oriented to the home market such as Netgear or the like) enable DHCP by default and have DHCP pools configured so that they will assign addresses. Cisco IOS does not enable DHCP by default - though it may be that running SDM on the router will have DHCP. My suggestion is to look in the config of your router. If you find a DHCP pool configured then you would want to remove it.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card