Views
Helpful
Replies

Alternate extension and Direct calls

Erick Bergquist
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

Had a issue on a 4.0(4) system where I was trying to get a call to go a certain subscriber and I configured the alternate extension with the other dialed numbers the call was coming in on per call viewer, and the call was not going to the subscriber. I had to add a direct call routing rule for the dialed number to go to the subscriber which worked.

Just wondering why the alternate extension method did not work. Does that work with direct calls and dialed number (per call viewer)?

Erick

2 Replies 2

eschulz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Atlerntate exensions should work fine however there are not any default Direct Call Routing Rules that look for the dialed number. With the Forwarded Call rules you have the default Attempt Forward, which looks for matches on the forwarding number and sends the call to the appropriate greeting. You can create a direct call rule that also uses Attempt Forward but it isn't there by default.

If you do create such a rule, you should note there are two main differences Attempt Forward is used with direct calls:

1) the dialed number is used for matching rather than forwarding number. Makes sense since there shouldn't be a forwarding number on direct calls.

2) if a matching Call Handler (or Subscriber) is found, the call will go to the transfer rule for that match. This differs from forwarded calls in that with those Attempt Forward will bypass the transfer rule and go straight to the Call Handler's greeting.

I understand, just not sure why alternate extension was not working as expected. I did add a call route for direct call using dialed number and routed it to the subscriber which works but thought I could do it with one less step by adding the number as an alternate extension on the subscriber.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: