Views
Helpful
Replies

several stacks & vlans

SandraHerzet
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have 9 switches 3750, that are divided in 4 stacks. I know that one stack is one virtual switch, but what about configuring vlans that span the 4 stacks... what is the best way to connect and configure the switches?

I have gone through so much information that I'm confused...

Thank you!

s

5 Replies 5

Martin Parry
Level 3
Level 3

Hi

Is one of these stacks acting as your core?

You could create a VTP domain, with one of the stacks being a server for the domain, and all other stacks being clients. Then connect all stacks using 802.1q trunks, and create your required vlans on the server. This information will then be propagated to all stacks via VTP.

Yes one stack is the core.

Thank you for clarifying the situation, I thought this would be to easy ;-)

S

One thing I was wondering is what happens if my master switch in the core stack fails...

Will another switch in the core stack take over the vtp server function automatically?

S

Using Stackwise technology, the configuration on the stack is replicated to all switches within that stack. In the event that the master switch fails (Providing the switches are correctly stacked), the stack will continue as normal. Obviously with th exception of being able to forward traffic on the ports of the dead switch.

I tried this but apparently the server tries to propagate the info, but the clients do not synch. I checked and changed status and domain name...

But still the same

s

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card