Can Phones on two different SRST routers call each other?

Unanswered Question
May 16th, 2007

We have a Call Manager and routers with SRST loaded. When the link to the CM goes down, Router "A" with SRST is to provide dial tone to the phones connected to Router "A". However, when the link goes down to the CM, another Router "B" who is spoked behind Router "A" (different physical location) needs to maintain dial tone service. The customer wants Router "A" and Router "B" SRST IP Phones to be able to call each other when the uplink to CM is down. Note there is connectivity betweeen Router "A" and Router "B" when the uplink to the CM is down.

Is the possible? We have no other hardware except 3845 and 2811 v12.4(3g)routers in the mix. CM is v4.2. SRST is v3.3.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
lfulgenzi Wed, 05/16/2007 - 04:49

I believe this is totally possible.

Your dial-peer will be a voip dial-peer and point to the ip address of the the other router.

You might have to set up codecs, etc, but I think you should be able to set this up very easily with a voip dial-peer pointing to the other router.

This document has some examples of phone to phone over two routers using two different codecs. It should help you get the basics down pat.

This is the root document

Hope this helps.

Please rate helpful posts

csmiler Wed, 05/16/2007 - 15:15

Ok, I think this will help because it looked like the SRST Call Manager fallback configuration that we put on the Router "A" and the Call Manager itself seemed to automatically configure Router "A" with some dial/voice ports that I see in your document reference.

This morning, we put on SRST on Router "A", we let the phones register to the call manager, and then disconnected the CM link. The Router "A" phones came up on SRST. We think we see Router "B" phones coming up but there is a time out issue somewhere because it takes forever for those to come up (and some dont) and it doesnt seem consistent. Hopefully, there is a method to decrease the timer on the fallback.

Ill post again soon to let you know how it went.

This Discussion