cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

adding new vlans, want to create vtp domain.

brad.thurston
Level 1
Level 1

I have a few catalyst 3560's that i will be replacing some crappy dell switches. I want to set the switches to a domain so i wont have to config all respectively. These switches are going to be setup as a ring. feeding the ring will be my catalyst 6509. The current vlans on my 6509 need not be infulenced by this. can i set a trunk on my 6509 that is on the vtp domain and the vlans that reside there not be affected? Or is this not the approach i should take with this?

8 Replies 8

desai.jaideep
Level 5
Level 5

Hi

Since 6509 would be your master switch and all the vlans are to be propogated into your network through that...you cannnot configure VTP to carry specific vlans.

But...you can specify in the trunk between the 6509 and other switches that data from particular vlans will only be forwarded.

Hope I have answered your question.

Regards

JD

But I can still make use of vtp domains on my 3560's ?

Hi

can u pls tell the current vlan and vtp status of your network.

...and what do u want to do in same setup?

JD

currently there are dell switches on each floor that are getting replaced with cat 3560's. there are approx 10 vlans at the moment. There is currently no vtp domain. I would like to make use of this when the switches are replaced to keep from having to add the vlan database on each switch everytime i add a vlan.

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Brad

Do you want to be able to create new vlans on your 3560's without affecting the 6500's or do you want to propogate the 6500 vlans to the 3560's.

if you want the 3560'S tp have their own vlan database just put them in their own VTP domain and make one of them a server.

If you want to propogate the 6500 to the 3560's make them clients. If you are propogating the 6500 vlans to the 3560's out the 3560'S in VTP transparent mode first then set them to a client with the same vtp domain as the 6500.

Hope i have not misunderstood

Jon

just to clarify, as a service, we have set up a "ring" in our building. One switch on each floor. i want to use vtp on these switches, making one master. All external traffic will come out of the ring through the 6509.

Brad

Will the 3560's have separate vlans on them than the 6500. And will the L3 vlan interfaces for the 3560 vlans be on one of the 3560's.

If so i would make the connection between the 3560 that has the L3 vlan interfaces and the 6500 a routed connection

and run an IGP between these two devices.

Could you calrify where the inter-vlan routing for the 3560 vlans will occur ?

Jon

yes the 3560's will have seperate vlan's on them. the vlans are for different businesses, so there will be no interVlan routing. and we are currently using igp, ospf.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco