cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

fast or gigabit ethernet ports on routers

bartcline
Level 1
Level 1

Hi. I'm a CCNA student working on an assignment which involves connecting eight subnets to an existing network. So far I have only worked with routers having only two fast ethernet ports. I guess there must be a module that will give me more routable ports, but the selection of routers and modules is bewildering, and I can't find any user-friendly guides to the subject. Can anyone suggest some hardware that will give me fa0/0-fa0/8 or more? With the equipment in my lab the only way I could see to achieve my requirements is to connect four routers together, but I don't think that's a very good solution, especially as I'm only subnetting one class-C network, thus fewer than 256 hosts! Thanks in advance for any advice.

2 Replies 2

m.sir
Level 7
Level 7

I dont know what is your scenario but what about using subinterfaces??? Than you need only one physical interface and you can create 8 subinterfaces and connect to trunk int of a switch

check this link for more details

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps221/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008007cd23.html

M.

Thanks. What you suggest looks good, but is maybe a little advanced for me, seeing as I am about to do the switching module of the course next week. I understand vlans in principle, but my current project is really about routers.

For a little more detail, my scenario is that I am supposed to take an existing fictional class-C network and subnet it into eight smaller networks, and then create ACLs for those networks. This is all for the routing portion of the course. I know you can apply ACLs to switch ports on some Catalyst switches, but since I am working on the routing module I think I need to do it with routers.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card