cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

fast or gigabit ethernet ports on routers

bartcline
Level 1
Level 1

Hi. I'm a CCNA student working on an assignment which involves connecting eight subnets to an existing network. So far I have only worked with routers having only two fast ethernet ports. I guess there must be a module that will give me more routable ports, but the selection of routers and modules is bewildering, and I can't find any user-friendly guides to the subject. Can anyone suggest some hardware that will give me fa0/0-fa0/8 or more? With the equipment in my lab the only way I could see to achieve my requirements is to connect four routers together, but I don't think that's a very good solution, especially as I'm only subnetting one class-C network, thus fewer than 256 hosts! Thanks in advance for any advice.

2 Replies 2

m.sir
Level 7
Level 7

I dont know what is your scenario but what about using subinterfaces??? Than you need only one physical interface and you can create 8 subinterfaces and connect to trunk int of a switch

check this link for more details

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps221/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008007cd23.html

M.

Thanks. What you suggest looks good, but is maybe a little advanced for me, seeing as I am about to do the switching module of the course next week. I understand vlans in principle, but my current project is really about routers.

For a little more detail, my scenario is that I am supposed to take an existing fictional class-C network and subnet it into eight smaller networks, and then create ACLs for those networks. This is all for the routing portion of the course. I know you can apply ACLs to switch ports on some Catalyst switches, but since I am working on the routing module I think I need to do it with routers.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card