cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 2.6: DCR - Edit Credentials behavior question

yjdabear
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If I do a mass Edit Credentials against "All Devices" in DCR, inclusive of those discovered by Campus Manager with only SNMP RO string populated, do the ones discovered by CM get the other credentials such as RW and Enable password after I click "Finish" without me having to re-type the credentials in every field?

10 Replies 10

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you do a mass edit of credentials (to be clear, I mean you go to Common Services > Device and Credentials > Device Management, select "All Device" and click on Edit Credentials) all devices selected will have their credentials set to the values you specify.

If you further refine that by clicking on Campus Manager-managed devices, then only those devices will get the credential updates.

However, newly discovered devices will not inherit any credentials other than the SNMP credentials specified in the Discovery settings.

I have a feeling this is may not be what you're asking, though...

That's the workflow I'm asking about. When you Edit Credentials against All Devices, the password/community fields are already populated (just can't tell what, because they're black dots). I was hoping/thinking the CM-discovered devices would/should inherit the other credentials, 1) the GUI kinda implies as such by filling in the fields with dots. 2) If someone doesn't want the credentials inherited, s/he would/should not have selected All Devices in the first place.

Thing of the dots as the value "HAS VALUE". You don't know what the value is, and different devices may have different values. If you do not change those fields, the devices selected will retain their previous values. If you do change them, all selected devices will get the new values.

Don't worry, default credentials will be here soon.

but as you mentioned - only for LMS 3.0 - and I am looking forward to see the new prices and licensing model (I heard rumors this will change) along with a possibility for an upgrade from LMS 2.6 - or will they coexist.

All I can say with regard to pricing is, contact your SE/Account team. As for upgrades, they will be supported directly from 2.5.1 and 2.6 (that is, in place upgrades). Migration will be supported from 2.2 as well (same way it works now in 2.6).

The two versions will not coexist on the same server, but they can happily coexist in the network. Unlike the move from 2.2 to 2.5, the learning curve will not be very steep. Yes, the cwhp is completely redone in a Web 2.0 look and feel, but the applications themselves look and feel the way they do in 2.6.

sorry I was a little unclear;

with coexistance i thought about the possibility that Cisco will still sell LMS 2.6 beside LMS 3.0, so the customer can decide which version (functions) and pricing model best fits; I heard some prices along with a new licensing model ( I do not know if it will be the final one) and I am not sure if my customers will like it...

LMS 2.6 will be sold along with LMS 3.0 for a few months. Then LMS 2.6 will go EOS. There will be new pricing and licensing models for LMS 3.0. Basically, we're looking at 100, 300, 1500, and 5000 device licenses. The eval copy will be limited to 100 devices.

So customers need to upgrade to get the advantages of all the enhancements (e.g. secondary cred /default creds for new discovered devices)

Beside the licenses you mentioned, I saw an additional license for up to 10000 devices(icluding 2 DFM licenses), but the point in question is the one for 1500 devices - I think 2000 would be a better count...

but as many times this is a personal opinion;

would be interesting what others think about this stepping...

Yes, there will be multi-server support for 10K devices, and yes, LMS 3.0 will be the only release to support default and secondary creds.

thanks Joe, for the clarification on the licensing model!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco