Views
Helpful
Replies

inter-vlan routing

yoyo_the_king
Level 1
Level 1

hi

i have a switch 4500 interconected to 2 switch and i configure vlan and vtp on switchs.

i want to configure inter-vlan routing without router(just with catalyst 4500)

but i dont know what port can i configure and how.

can you help please.

18 Replies 18

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Friend,

If your 4500 runs IOS then you can configure logical interfaces or vlan interfaces and configure ip address on each interface for respective vlans.

Something like this

interface vlan

ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x

interface vlan

ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x

Also make sure you have a trunk connection from 4500 switchport to other 2 switches.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

yes i configured 2 vlan with 172.16.0.1 and 10.0.0.1.

and i configure trunk on ports connection to other switchs.

but if connect 2 pc to 2 switch if they have ip address in the same subnet they ping them selfs.

but if they have ip address in different subnet(vlan) they don't ping themselfs.

thats means the inter-vlan routing is not configured.

how can i configur it?

Hi Friend,

When you connect 2 machines to the switch with different subnet ip range so you also connect the machines on 2 different vlans on switchport.

Can you also run "sh ip route" command on 4500 switch and confirm if you see your 2 vlans showing as connected route?

Regards,

Ankur

i have :

172.16.0.0/24 is subnetted, 1 subnets

c 172.16.0.0 is directly connected, vlan2

10.0.0.0/24 is subnetted, 1 subnets

c 10.0.0.0 is directly connected, vlan1

Hi Friend,

This confirms that inter vlan routing configuration is fine. Now make sure you have trunk connection between all switches allowing both the vlans.

And when you connect your machines on switches the switchport must be configured with access vlan 1 and 2 respectively.

Somehting like this

interface fa0/1

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 1

interface fa0/2

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 2

Now when you connect your machines on 2 ports make sure you configure them with thie own subnet range ip address and also assign them the gateway address which you have configured on respective vlan interfaces on 4500 switch.

HTH

Ankur

i m sorry, i dont know how cani make sure that i have trunk connection between all switches.

and the command : switchport mode access, if she associate this switchport to work just with vlan1, i dont want this because i want mobility.

can you explain more plz.

Yoyo,

As Ankur posted, you must assign a vlan to the interface. It sounds like you want the switch to figure out what address is on the client and assign that vlan to the port...it doesn't work that way. If you want to do dynamnic vlan assignment you should look into 802.1x.

i m sorry, i dont know how cani make sure that i have trunk connection between all switches.

and the command : switchport mode access, if she associate this switchport to work just with vlan1, i dont want this because i want mobility.

can you explain more plz.

thank you very much for your help.

with switchport .... that work very fine.

but just in this port, if a pc change port on the same switch that not work.

?????

that port must have the "switchport access vlan" command as well.

that mean i configure all port on switch with "switchport access vlan" command

Hi Friend,

All the ports on which your wired machines will be connecting should be configured as "switchport mode access" and then with "switchport access vlan" these commads will let the machine fall into some vlan and without these commands machines will not fall into any vlan and will remain in vlan 1 always because by default all ports are assigned to vlan 1.

Mobility is not possible for your wired machines. If you want mobility scenario you need to have Wireless network setup. If you want to assign machines on different vlans depening on user identiy you have to configure 802.1x where dynamic vlan values can be returned on user basis.

HTH

Ankur

no i want mobility with ip address.

if i connect a pc on switchport1 (for exempl)

if pc has adress 10.0.0.2 he is in vlan1

and if pc has adress 172.16.0.2 he is in vlan2

without changing port.

any suggestion????

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: