Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco VPN Client on Ubuntu 6.06.1

nickkline
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

I am trying to install the Cisco VPN client on Ubuntu 6.06.1. The installation is failing and returning the following information:

---

sudo ./vpn_install

Cisco Systems VPN Client Version 4.8.00 (0490) Linux Installer

Copyright info...

Directory where binaries will be installed [/usr/local/bin]

Automatically start the VPN service at boot time [yes]

In order to build the VPN kernel modeule, you must have the

kernel headers for the version of the kernel you are running.

Directory containing linux kernel source code [/lib/modules/2.6.15-28-686/build]

(I changed this to): /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.15-28-686/

*Binaries will be installed in "/usr/local/bin".

*Modules will be installed in "/lib/modules/2.6.15-28-686/CiscoVPN".

*The VPN service will be started AUTOMATICALLY at boot time.

*Kernel source from "/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.15-28-686/" will be used to build the module.

Is the above correct [y]

Making module

./driver_build.sh: line 50: make: command not found

Failed to make module "cisco_ipsec.ko".

---

My system information:

-Dell Latitude D820

-Ubuntu 6.06.1 LTS desktop Dapper Drake

-Kernel 2.6.15-28-686

-Cisco VPN Client version 4.8.00.0490-k9

I am aware that alternatives exist to the Cisco VPN client but before I think about using a different product, I would like to know why this installation is failing and how to properly resolve the problem.

I've read several posts that suggest installing various compilers and the like, but is this the core solution? In an attempt to troubleshoot this problem, I installed the "make" command however the installation failed again, this time complaining about gcc not being available.

I've also read about a patch for the Cisco VPN client that is designed to work on kernels > 2.6.19 but am not sure if such a patch exists for my kernel.

Any thoughts and suggestions on resolving this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time,

*Nick*

1 Reply 1

umedryk
Level 5
Level 5

Any Linux Kernel later than 2.6.18 does not have a config.h file in the source files and does not go forward.

For a workaround: First, use the touch command in the Kernel source directory as given in this example, in order to create the config.h file:

[root@hostanme build]#touch config.h Then install the script.

Check this bug-id:CSCsg66766.