cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Smart Port Roles

paulscowcroft
Level 1
Level 1

With a Catalyst 500 using a smart port role of Phone and Data, what exactly does this do? What exactly is it looking for to give priority for. I need a granular answer.

6 Replies 6

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

Cisco uses smart port for optimized quality of service (QoS), Smartports roles match the appropriate class of service (CoS) and differentiated services code point (DSCP) values to the specific Cisco device connected to the Cisco Catalyst Express 500 Switch.

HTH, please do rate all helpful replies,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

So if my phone frame is encapsulated with a TOS bit 5 then DSCP of the smart port role will pick up this and give EF correct?

Will this work with any device or CISCO CDP only?

Hi,

Yes it uses CDP, it helps ensure that voice-over-IP (VoIP) traffic takes precedence, most Cisco Unified IP phones include a 10/100 switch with QoS to provide PC desktop connectivity to the network.

Mohammed Mahmoud.

So what if a non CISCO phone is used that puts out a TOS of 5 in the frame but is not CDP. Can the smart port role(phone and pc) still see a TOS bit 5 and corelate it to DSCP 46 and give that packet precedence?

Hi,

Yes, only Cisco devices.

For more smart port features please check this document:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5012/prod_bulletin0900aecd8033b8b3.html

I hope that i've been informative.

Mohammed Mahmoud.

The smart port role is the same for even the 2960 correct?

I need a diffinative answer that stating the smart port role will work with DSCP and is reverse compatible as the RFC specification defines back to TOS, and I need to know if the smart port role will only work with CISCO devices and if so why only CISCO devices. Meaning what exactly is the reason it will only work with CISCO devices.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card