cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Flashing leds to identify the switch/router

2044418Puts
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to let all the leds flash on a router / switch with an IOS command so it can be identified in a rack?

Just curious :)

4 Replies 4

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

I didn't see this before, and frankly speaking i don't think that it can be done, but if it is not in production, you can shut down interfaces, and their leds will shutdown and thus you can identify it, but you must bare the down time.

HTH, please do rate all helpful replies,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

A soft reload would also cause the LED's to go off and come on.

If you want to identify where and which switch a desktop port is connected to: you can remove the LAN cable from the desktop side and plug it back again. If portfast is not enabled you should see the port is in orange color for 50secs till it becomes green (spanning tree). I used to do this when i wanred to figure out which switch a particular port is connected to. Though you may have to repeat this quite a few times, it was an effective way to come to know the exact port on the switch.

Narayan

If you send lot of traffic, using 1000's of pings, through an interface the LEDs will be flashing to the point it would look like it's almost solid green light. That may be one way to help identify the router/switch without taking anything down.

HTH

Sundar

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Don't think switches have anything like that . Cisco WAP's actually do have a command to flash the LED's so you can locate it .

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card