cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting 2 Cisco 6500 devices

IgorHamzic
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.I'm trying to connect 2 Cisco 6500 devices(one from our company network and the other from another company using optical fibre) and to do routing between them.

I was thinking of connecting my end of the fibre into the switch,adding that port to a VLAN,on the interface for that VLAN putting an IP address from the range that will connect those two 6500 devices then do the routing.

Will this kind of setup work?Thanks in advance.

5 Replies 5

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

Yes, you can add the port to a specific vlan and then define the IP in the corresponding vlan interface(SVI).

But i would prefer to use a routed interface by using the command no switchport on the ports and assigning an IP directly to that port.

HTH, rate if it does

Narayan

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Friend,

You can ofcourse go ahead with your design but as Narayan stated the best design will be to use the routed ports.

If you are connecting the switches using access vlan on interface and then doing the routing configuring logical interfaces for those vlans you are also extending your spanning tree across the company for that vlan. If possible avoid carrying STP from one company to other.

HTH

Ankur

Ok so I enter the no switchport command on the selected ports,apply the IP addresses and do the routing between two Cisco 6500's.

Should I put the ports in a VLAN with this configuration or is that not necessary?

Routed ports are not assigned to any VLAN. With an IP address on both router ports you should be able to ping each other.

HTH

Sundar

Thanks guys.All your answers helped me a lot.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card