Views
Helpful
Replies

6500 Native Software Architecture - RP and SP versions of code

kfarrington
Level 3
Level 3

Guys,

I am not an expert on the 6500 series by any means, but I am just wondering how the switch software boots and works?

In the following, it looks like I have two versions of code, 1 for the RP and one for the SP.

SWITCH#sh ver

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software

IOS (tm) s72033_rp Software (s72033_rp-PK9SV-M), Version 12.2(17d)SXB5, RELEASE

SOFTWARE (fc1)

SWITCH#remote command switch show version

IOS (tm) s72033_sp Software (s72033_sp-SPV-M), Version 12.2(17d)SXB5, RELEASE SO

FTWARE (fc1)

Same versions, just differnt features maybe,

ie

s72033_rp Software (s72033_rp-PK9SV-M)

vs

s72033_sp Software (s72033_sp-SPV-M)

Can anyone explain how this all works, ie, when a switch boots up, it installs the SP version, and then the RP version, or how this software interoperates with each other?

I assume that both IOS images (if they are two distinc images) are stored in the one IOS image I have loaded on the bootdisk?

Just some software architecutre advise or reference to some documents explaining this would be fantastic?

Many thx indeed, as always,

Ken

3 Replies 3

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Ken,

There is no seperate image for sup and msfc when you are running Native IOS. There is onle single integrated image.

Native mode mandates that both CPUs (SP and RP) run the full Cisco IOS Software operating system. There is no hidden Catalyst software running in the switch and the executable images used by both CPUs run the complete IOS kernel.

Native IOS Software requires the single image to be present on a device local to the sup because it is a bundled image for two processors and the SP boots first.

In Native IOS Software, both processors (the SP and RP) load the Cisco IOS Software. Two processors working together yield two ROMMONs and two bootflash devices. First, the SP boots to ROMMON and loads its portion of the Cisco IOS Software. When the SP is booted, the software control is passed to the RP so that the second processor can successfully boot. From a console perspective, the RJ-45 console port on the sup initially shows information from the SP. During the boot cycle for the Cisco Catalyst 6500 with the Cisco IOS Software, control is passed to RP CPU.

After this point the Route Processor controls the system. From the software perspective, the RP acts as the primary CPU and the SP acts as the secondary CPU. This is transparent to the user, all configuration commands are entered directly through the Route Processor CPU in Cisco IOS Software. Commands entered that affect the SP functionality are passed internally from the RP to the SP.

I hope it helps you.

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Thx Ankur,

That is a very clear explaination of the process. Especially mentioning the two CPUs helps clarify the situation.

One last question then.

If you look at the output below :-

SWITCH#sh ver

IOS (tm) s72033_rp Software (s72033_rp-PK9SV-M), Version 12.2(17d)SXB5, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport

SWITCH#remote command switch show version

IOS (tm) s72033_sp Software (s72033_sp-SPV-M), Version 12.2(17d)SXB5, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

SWITCH#remote command module 9 sh version

IOS (tm) c6lc2 Software (c6lc2-SPV-M), Version 12.2(17d)SXB5, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

When you issue the command show version : That is executed from the RP CPU - correct?

When you issue the command remote command switch show version : That is executed from the SP CPU - correct?

What about when you issue the command remote command module 9 sh version ???? What CPU is this executed from? (BTW module 9 is a CEF720 48 port 10/100/1000mb Ethernet WS-X6748-GE-TX)

Many many thanks for the clear explianation.

Kind regards,

Ken

Hi Ken,

For the first 2 commands yes you are absolutely correct.

For the 3rd command "remote command module 9 sh version" it is executed on the CPU of module 9 itself.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card