Views
Helpful
Replies

wlse or wcs?

jorge.s
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I was considering implementing WLSE in our environment for controlling the AP's we currently have deploys, let's say about 150 accross different sites, sometimes with 1 or 2 AP's sometimes with 40, all of them around the model Aironet 1242.

But speaking to Cisco they are telling me that's a wrong direction and that we should go for WCS and convert all our AP's to Lightweight. But that costs a fortune, and the only thing we were looking at is a way to monitor and manager those AP's in terms of IOS, Rogue ap's, Brute force attacks, monitor of policys, etc.

Is it really true that Cisco is close to abandon the WLSE solution, and force the customers to go for WCS?

What's your opinion?

3 Replies 3

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Jorge,

I think you and I looked at the EOS/EOL dates for the WLSE a little while back and we both know that Cisco is pushing hard in this direction. If it were me I would go the "LIGHTWEIGHT" route here. As a matter of fact we did do just this last summer when we moved from the Autonomous/WLSE model to the WLC/WCS LWAPP Infrastructure. The co$t of the WLC/WCS vs WLSE is going to be close (reasonably) and the 1242's can be converted using the Autonomous to Lightweight Upgrade Tool so no cost there (other than time :(

This way you end up with new, fully supported technology now and you won't have to make this change down the road. (may be sooner than later!) Plus, there will be time/cost savings with the easier management going forward.

Just my 2 cents Jorge :)

Hope this helps!

Rob

but has I can see the price list for such controllers is considerable:

4400 Series WLAN Controller for up to 25 Lightweight APs - 14395$

4400 Series WLAN Controller for up to 50 Lightweight APs - 19000$

4400 Series WLAN Controller for up to 100 Lightweight APs - 34000$

How many AP's do you have, and how are they distributed? all in same location?

Jorge

Hi Jorge,

You are right, this stuff isn't cheap by any means. But I do think that putting your money towards a product that is likely to be around for a while (WLC/WCS) is still a better investment.

We have 3x4402-50 in an N+1 configuration this currently supports approximately 89 AP's mostly in a Central location. We have a few successfully deployed at remote sites as well.

Maybe the WLSE is cheaper but I think we would both agree that Cisco is moving away from this model as we speak.

Again Jorge, this is just my humble opinion and I certainly wouldn't disagree with running the WLSE for the years between now and EOL.

Take care,

Rob

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card