Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Generating L4 Traffic

Hi Guys,

Have just setup the S650 any ideas on how to generate malware traffic without installing malware internally?

Cheers

Steve

3 Replies 3

I've written an OSX application that acts as a web-crawler. I point it at a single web-site and it takes off (with certain control paramaters). If you point it to a questionable starting point, within minutes your S-Series will start showing all sorts of malware and other L4TM stats.
Again the application runs on Mac OSX so if you have a Mac and want the app you can email me at dalton@ironport.com.

thanks
Dalton Hamilton
IronPort Cisco

you mention that you have a site that can provide testing capabilities for IronPort. I do not have a MAC, do you know of another method whereby I can generate malware and other L4TM stats so that I can confirm my device is working.

Cheers

jowolfer
Level 1
Level 1

You should be able to just telnet to a forbidden site. Such as:

telnet ieplugin.com 80

This will create a TCP socket with this malware server and the L4TM will pick it up and block / monitor it accordingly.

Since you are not using a browser, you are safe.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: