cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CCM Database Reinitialisation - Reboot or Service Restart?

muarrij
Level 1
Level 1

Can anyone confirm with fact, that when you reboot a call manager cluster whether the database require manual intervention to reinitialise?

(Would restarting the cluster not be the same as restarting the services or reinitializing the database?) Thanks in advance!

6 Replies 6

2smith
Level 1
Level 1

rebooting a cluster (Publisher first) would normally resolve replication issues without any further intervention.

Have you had a look at DBLHELPER.exe ???

Yes, all green happy smiley faces on all four boxes. But, the question was, is rebooting a CCM cluster any different than restarting the services or reinitialising the services. Ie after a full cluster reboot (publisher first), do the DB's reinitialise?

Anyone??

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Muarrij,

I can't find a document that details this fact but I can tell you that we have had to do a cluster re-boot on certain occasions (like you noted Pub first followed by Subs) and have never had an issue with db replication after doing so :) No manual intervention was required.

Hope this helps a little!

Rob

Yes , I think I was really looking for confirmation from somone with more experience.

I was told by the engineer the following;

"Unfortunately restarting the cluster is not the same as restarting the services or reinitializing the database. When we reinitializing the DB we reran the snapshot agent, which will regenerate the snapshot and all the information is copied/applied to the subs, and this is not happening with a rebooting"

This is after questioning why the reboot of the CCM cluster was not enough to capture traces with regards to our current problem. Any comments will be gratefully received.

trevis.brian
Level 1
Level 1

Here goes.....

Fact: When you reboot a CCM cluster you do not need manual intervention to reinitialise the database.

Fact: When you reboot a CCM cluster you SHOULD not need manual intervention to reinitialise database replication. However, over the years I have learned to allways check replication after a reboot, and to make a note to check replication every so often (maybe once a month). I have seen a good percentage of clusters that have replication problems - and you don't want to learn that replication has been failling when just after your publisher goes pear-shaped. I have also seen clusters where replication has NEVER occurred on one or more subscribers - not good!!

Restarting the CCM service is similar to rebooting, but it is good to reboot Windows servers every so often (I don't know if you are talking about CCM5 - if so, ignore this bit). If you want to see the impact of that, run task manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del) and see how much memory the server is using, then reboot and check again. Rebooting obviously clears down the memory, all the application stacks/heaps etc. In the old days Cisco used to reboot their servers every couple of week to help stability.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: