Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 6506 fan & power supply incompatibility

Migrating from catos 7.6.9 to ios 12.1.26E8 in a Catalyst 6506 with SUP1A+MSFC2+PFC / FAN high speed /2 x 1300w power supply no detect any problem with catos and detect a FAN TRAY AND POWER SUPPLY INCOMPATIBLE message with ios. The system is down at 300seconds.

Do you know the way to see to check the compatibility between fans&power supply?

Is there any way to disable this incompatibility message to maintain the system up?

Thanks a lot in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Luis,

The IOS which you are having does support High Speed fan try but afaik 1300W power supply does not support High speed fan tray.

Also when you have planned for migration from CATOS to IOS on sup1a you do not need high spped fan tray.

So when you plan just check the release note for all supported hardware and modules in that release and check if all your modules are supported and for power supply option you check the power calculator link where you can select the chassis, and all lines cards and it will give you how much power wattage is required and accordingly you can use that power supply.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpful post

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Luis,

Can you please confirm if you have 6506 chassis or 6506-E chassis.

You said you have high speed fan tray which hwas running fine on CATOS with 1300 W power supply? High Speed fan tray need minimum CATOS 8.1(1).

Some chassis require a high capacity fan tray for use with Supervisor Engine 720 and Supervisor Engine 32 only. These fan trays require a 2500 W or 4000 W power supply. This fan tray is supported in all chassis (except for the 3-slot chassis).

I will recommend you to determine power requirements, refer to the CCO power calculator at this URL:

http://www.cisco.com/go/powercalculator

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Hi Ankur,

The chassis is 6506, this chassis has a high speed fan tray because last year was running with 720-BASE supervisor and after it returned to work with SUP1A-MSFC2-PFC and this version CATOS.

The fan & power suply error message that appears only with IOS occurs without line boards instaled other than SUP1A. The chassis is almost empty.

Hi Luis,

AFAIK you need minimum 2500W power supply for high speed fan tray to work.

I power calculator which I posted in my previous post will confirm you the same. You can select your chassi, fan tray and sup model in the same and calculator will update you minimum power supply requirement for the same.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Hi Ankar,

Thank you very much for your info. We are going to change the fan for non-high spped fan and we?ll check the system again.

Ankar one question, before the migration process I checked the hardware config with FAN and HIGH SPEED FAN and 1300w power supplies with the Software Advisor and in both cases the software advisor validated this IOS image for this hardware. Is?t normal?

Wht?s the correct way to prepare a Catos to Ios migration?

Thanks in advance for all your help

Luis

Hi Luis,

The IOS which you are having does support High Speed fan try but afaik 1300W power supply does not support High speed fan tray.

Also when you have planned for migration from CATOS to IOS on sup1a you do not need high spped fan tray.

So when you plan just check the release note for all supported hardware and modules in that release and check if all your modules are supported and for power supply option you check the power calculator link where you can select the chassis, and all lines cards and it will give you how much power wattage is required and accordingly you can use that power supply.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpful post

Hi Ankur,

Thank you very much for your info, it was very useful to solve my problem

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: