cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Packet Size Question

stonnet72
Level 1
Level 1

- I have an application that is sending a packet size on my network at 4096 per packet

- i want to change the size of the packet size to 1024

- i believe that this will improve the throughput of traffic on my network and perhaps allow my application to operate more effeciently

- a packet size of 4096 seems to be too large for an application (database application) to produce

Can anyone add clarification to my thought process. thank you all very, very much.

5 Replies 5

Manoj Wadhwa
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Can you plz clarify if it is 4096 bytes or bits ? If it is 4096 bytes, i am afraid the application would not work as the MTU size by default is 1500 bytes/ packet. However, to answer your question, if you need to break the packet size, you can use QoS Link efficiency mechanism like PPP Multilink Fragmentation or FR Fragmentation depending on what technology you are using. Thanks!

- Manoj

- believe we are talking about bytes sizes.

- how can i implement link effeciency mechanism on a server in a server/client scenario?

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Please specify what devices you are using and how did you got to know the packet size is 4096.

packet traverses the network in the following manner

- DB Server --> switch --> client then;

- client --> switch --> DB Server

- packets may travese a segmented network depending on the client's location per request

The reason I was asking about the devices used, is because not all switches are limited to 1500 Bytes MTU (jumbo frames). In that case, the host can be set for a larger MTU as well, and that may result in better performances for large data transfers.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: