Views
Helpful
Replies

LAN Bandwidth

gsalmon444
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all

We have a LAN with 35 Dell GX280 workstations and 15 Dell GX520 workstations connected to a fairly new IBM File server (sorry no spec but it is quite high using raid5) using a SQL database, the server has a fail over server controlled by Legato software but at this point I dont think that is relevant.

My main point here is that most of the workstations are connected using 100Mbs Full duplex and about 15 of them are only on 10Mbs. To make them all 100Mbs we need to alter a setting on the switch ports and force the onboard NICs on each worktation to use 100Mbs full duplex. If we do this does will it have more strain on the Server/SQL database or will it improve as we have opened more bandwidth "so to speak".

To simplify my question is is better for the server to have all workstations on a 10Mbs rather than 100Mbs. What constraint differences are on the server between the two bandwidths? regarding hardware resources and the Sql database, i.e processor usage on the server.

Thanks to all that respond

2 Replies 2

desai.jaideep
Level 5
Level 5

HI

It does affect the switch's performance if you have 10mb and 100mb mixture.

10 mb is never full duplex, its always half.

Setting your network on 100full will always boost your network performance.

I dont think that changing LAN speed will do any damage to your server.You can yourself check the "transaction per sec" if you know how to.... :D

Regards

JD

Ok thanks for reply

So what your saying is that the processing power, resource on the SQL database will not degrade on the server much if say 40 of my workstations request information or update a results collection service, that we have running, all at once.

How do you check the transaction per second? I take it you do this on the server?

Thanks again

G.S.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card