Replies

about L2VPN and BPDU transport

ariela
Level 4
Level 4

Hi folks,

my topology is like that:

vlan 30 - router A & B - mpls cloud (no vlans) - router C & D - vlan 30

I've created two xconnect tunnels (A-C and B-D), but the first is working, the second is for a cold backup.

How could I use both at the same time? Maybe I've to transport the BPDUs, to loop prevention, but how? Any advice will be appreciated

Regards

Andrea

15 Replies 15

swaroop.potdar
Level 7
Level 7

May be you want to use Layer 2 Protocol Tunneling, with two independent VC's carrying the same vlan between the end points.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/core/cis7600/software/122sr/swcg/l2pt.htm

HTH-Cheers,

Swaroop

Hi Swaroop,

thanks for your answer. Could I use L2PT over MPLS cloud? Could you explain me that?

thanks for your support

Andrea

Switch(config)# interface gigabitethernet1/0/2

Switch(config-if)# Description Customer Facing Trunk

Switch(config-if)# l2protocol-tunnel stp

Switch(config-if)# switchport mode dot1q-tunnel

Switch(config-if)# switchport access vlan 30

Switch(config)# end

Switch#

Switch(config)# interface vlan30

Switch(config-if)# mpls l2transport route

You may try it this way, modifying the config as per your existing setup.

HTH-Cheers,

Swaroop

Hi Swaroop,

thanks for your answer, I've tried but I've a problem with BPDU transport.

In effect, I see both PE root bridge for vlan30, so I think BPDU transport doesn't work

PE-TEST-A and PE-TEST-B

PE-TEST-A would be the root bridge:

spanning-tree vlan 30 priority 24576

the tunnel is up, the SVI is up, but the sh span sum says both are the root bridge (my expectation was "Root port" on PE-TEST-B)!

Any advice will be appreciated

Thanks again

Andrea

Hi Swaroop:

L2PT sounds really interesting!!

I wanted to create a scenario to learn it better.

What I am thinking is to connect a router(acting as a host) to a 3550 and the 3550 to a MPLS PE(3640) router, across to the other side and similiar setup on the other side.

Does it make any sense?

Thx.

Hi,

I don't think 3550 supports that ... Please check the FN.

Regards

Andrea

Niraj & Andrea, the 3550 supports QinQ with L2Protocol Tunneling.

Here is the feature configuration guide.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/c3550/12225see/scg/swtunnel.htm

Andrea, Customer STP can be transported across the MetroCore encapsulated in the L2Prot_Tunnel end-to-end,

can you illustrate or explain your topology and the objective, so we can understand the problem.

HTH-Cheers,

Swaroop

hi Swaroop,

first of all, thanks for your support, it is very appreciated.

Well, about the shows in my last post, the topology of my first lab was like this:

all 3750-ME

[PE-TEST-A]--[P-TEST-A]--[P-TEST-B]--[PE-TEST-B]

CE-TEST-A and CE-TEST-B connected to PEs, and on vlan 30; l2transport between PEs.

I've changed the priority on PE-TEST-A, so that PE could be the root bridge for the vlan 30. But when all is ok, I see both PEs root bridges for the same vlan 30. My expectation was PE-TEST-B with a 'root port' instead of 'designated port', correct?

Thanks again

Andrea

Andrea, you should do a QinQ with L2Tunnel to transport the BPDU of the customer transparently via the core to the other customer end.(CE-MetroE Core-CE)

Your core should be transparent to the SP core as a best practise, to avoid complications with you VLAN addressing and your STP design.

So if your CE is connected to your PE on vlan 30 then on the port connecting to the CE on the PE you do a QinQ and do a L2transport for the SP vlan and also a L2protocol transport on the interface, so it carries the L2 protocol frames received from your CE to the other side CE.

If you want to do something else apart from transporting BPDU's from the CE then do elaborate.

HTH-Cheers,

Swaroop

Hi Swaroop,

thanks for your answer, I've forgotten, and maybe it's important: I work for this SP, so PEs and P are on my hand ... the MPLS core hasn't vlans, all is label based. So, is it possible to create this?

The configuration that I've applied is like this:

(example: PE-TEST-A)

interface gigabitethernet1/0/1

Description L2-TEST

l2protocol-tunnel stp

switchport mode dot1q-tunnel

switchport access vlan 30

!

interface vlan30

mpls l2transport route 30

Any advice will be appreciated

Thanks again

Andrea

Andrea, yes definately this will work.

This will transport the customer L2 protocol packets to the other side including the STP.

So the CE's at each end can run STP between themselves. PE's wont be involved in this STP at all. So do not enable STP for vlan 30 on the PE's. As they are just carrier Vlans.

HTH-Cheers,

Swaroop

Hi Swaroop,

so, if I've well understood, is it normal that I see on PEs both ports "designated" and not "des/root"? I've to check the STP on CEs, and not on PEs. How could I check if the STP works correctly at each end?

Thanks again for your support

Regards

Andrea

Andrea, since you are using a L2transport, the PE's would be L3 peers, so do not enable STP between the PE's.

And if you are seeing a designated port then its normal, as each PE will consider itself the root for Vlan which it is transporting to the other side.

Designated-Root role in your topology means a problem, which will signify some one else is the root.

Now coming to your CE, to check STP is working fine or not try to manipulate the STP Bridge priority and see the effect for common Vlans spanning tree root ID. the root ID shoudl be the bridge ID of the switch whose priority you reduced.

Please do let me know if you have any more questions.

HTH-Cheers,

Swaroop

Hi,

thanks for your support.

So, maybe a stupid question, but ... if I change the STP priority on vlan 30 "A side", I'll see something on STP vlan 30 "B side"?

Thanks

Andrea

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: