cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CiscoWorks Databases to another drive.

goodman.k
Level 1
Level 1

We have a CiscoWorks (LMS 2.5) implementation on a Windows platform. Question is; Is it possible to place the databases on a seperate drive to themselves instead of as a subdirectory (x:\CSCOpx\databases). What we would like to do is have the application installed on the smaller hard drive of the system and put the databases on a 'logical' drive defined to our SAN.

Thanks...Keith

14 Replies 14

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is not possible. The databases must live under NMSROOT\databases. If you want to have these reside on a SAN, then you will need to install the whole application to that file system.

Well we attempted to install the application on your SAN and now we are getting an error when launching browser "Server not ready" please wait while page loads. Our SAN is located on E: but when we uninstalled CiscoWorks and put it back on D: we were able to launch Ciscoworks. Is this a known issue?

I have heard of a few SAN installations, but this is not something we tested. The "Server not ready" is something you see when Tomcat is still initializing, so that in itself is not an issue. The bottom line is that without more details, I cannot say what the problem was.

Ok here is the scenario.

Windows 2003 Server R2

C: 30 gig

D: 100 gig

E: 150 SAN Attached.

I can install Ciscoworks on C: and D: without any problems and Launch Ciscoworks from a browser. Since CiscoWorks database is propriety we were told that would were told that we need to install the whole application on SAN which is not working for us. Any ideas on how to resolve this?

There is not enough information to know what the problem is. At the very least you will need to provide the installation log.

No problem attached is the CiscoWorks Setup log. I have it working now on a local drive instead of a SAN attached drive, i'm just curious to know why this is not working on our SAN.

First, I notice you're installing from E: and not from a CD. This is not supported, and has been known to cause problems. Second, this is an install log when Common Services was installed to D: which means it will not help in determining what failures might have occurred when it was installed to E:.

Without logs from the SAN installation, I cannot offer any further guidance. What I can say is that if you try this again, install from a local CD drive, and try setting your TEMP and TMP environment variables to something short like C:\TEMP before beginning the installation.

We reverted back to the regular install and re-attempted to install it to our SAN attached drive which D: be advised that we are platform we are using is a HP Proliant BL460(Blade Server) no local cd rom. We followed the recommendations from the post install to run the installation from a local CD or a local hardrive to avoid errors. I copied the install software to D: and run the Common Services 3.0 onto D:

Attached is the all the logs from the San installation. Be advised I looked at the tomcat monitor log and it has an exception error.

Please provide the NMSROOT\MDC\tomcat\logs\stdout.log and NMSROOT\MDC\Apache\logs\error.log.

Attached are the error logs you requested.

Wow, it takes almost an hour for Tomcat to come up. This is WAY outside of spec. It should take no more than seven minutes for Tomcat to fully initialize. Looks like your SAN is too slow to support the I/O needs of LMS.

Looks like you are correct. When I initially launched Ciscoworks it was a little latency with the page loading but after 3-4 minutes the page loaded successfully. Would you recommend proceeding with the SAN install or loading application on a local drive? Is there any way to point Tomcat to the local drive? I'm assuming each time we reboot the CiscoWorks server we will have to wait 1 hour to launch CiscoWorks.

I would recommend you forgo the SAN since such an installation was not officially tested. Stick with the local drive. You cannot separate CiscoWorks components into different file systems, so everything will have to live on the same drive.

As for waiting one hour, it's not that simple. Since Tomcat is taking more than seven minutes to initialize, TomcatMonitor gives up, and nothing will start. You could wait one year, but nothing would change (i.e. you'd still see the error you're seeing). On top of that, given this I/O situation, you may not be pleased with CiscoWorks' performance, and it may not be effective for you.

Thanks for all you support with this and providing excellent response time. I will talk with our Network architects early next week to see if we can do anything to optimize the speed of our San Attached drives, if not we will definitely need to order another server with a substantial amount of local storage.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: