cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6509 In-Discards

p-allen
Level 1
Level 1

I am seeing what are called " receive discards" in our monitoring tool"Solarwinds" for a port on our 6509. The only think I can find that seems the same is the in-discard counter on the core. I have found information on in-discards but I am still unsure what is causing it since there is no hub connected to this port. Only the one server is connected and is in a vlan. We have other vlans on this core that are in the same vlan so I am not understanding what the issue could be.

In-Discard?The result of incoming valid frames that were discarded because the frame did not need to be switched.

This can be normal if a hub is connected to a port and two devices on that hub exchange data.

The switch port still sees the data but does not have to switch it, since the CAM table shows the MAC address of both devices associated with the same port, and so it is discarded.

This counter can also increment on a port configured as a trunk if that trunk blocks for some VLANs, or on a port that is the only member of a VLAN.

6509_core2> (enable) show mac 9/6

Port Rcv-Unicast Rcv-Multicast Rcv-Broadcast

-------- -------------------- -------------------- --------------------

9/6 258622743 45929 85736

Port Xmit-Unicast Xmit-Multicast Xmit-Broadcast

-------- -------------------- -------------------- --------------------

9/6 223265462 3918680 1254797

Port Rcv-Octet Xmit-Octet

-------- -------------------- --------------------

9/6 247715633661 149416404803

MAC Dely-Exced MTU-Exced In-Discard Out-Discard

-------- ---------- ---------- ---------- -----------

9/6 0 0 99716 0

Port Last-Time-Cleared

----- --------------------------

9/6 Wed May 2 2007, 03:19:02

1 Reply 1

p-allen
Level 1
Level 1

Will turning on flow control help with this? Does it need to be turned on the core and server nic?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card