cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CE 500 ping response times

DJCanuck1_2
Level 1
Level 1

I have a bit of a weird problem with two of my CE 500 24 port switches. They are both PoE versions. One switch has 16 phones plugged into it and the other is not being used for phones, only computers and printers. Management VLAN is the same as the computer VLAN. The second switch is directly connected to port 23 of the first switch. The first switch has port 24 connected to a 2801 router which is terminating a DMVPN.

When I ping the second switch from a computer that is directly connected to this same switch, the response times vary from 1ms to 70 ms. When I ping the other CE 500 from this same computer it responds in the same way 1ms to 70 ms. When I ping the 2801 router which is the gateway for both switches and the computer, it responds at 1ms every time.

Why would the CE 500s respond so erratically to a ping from a device directly connected on the same subnet?

2 Replies 2

claudio.maroni
Level 1
Level 1

Try to verify the CPU usage,maybe it could be to high and the behavior should be an high response time because it is required to process the ping request, while, pinging the router, the ping request pass through the switches but without requiring a response from its.

Claudio

The only place I can display any CPU usage is with the PoE indicator. It is running at 34%. Is there a better way to look at the overall CPU usage of a CE 500?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card