Views
Helpful
Replies

Route leaking from Global table to VRF on 3825 series

nakulvkumar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Anyone has done route leaking from global table to VRF...

A confirmation would help..

Thanks

Regards

NK

8 Replies 8

swaroop.potdar
Level 7
Level 7

This is only a software based feature.

If your customers 3825 is running 12.3(14)T or 12.4 then this has to work.

There shouldnt be any hardware limitation to implement the same.

More inputs on what exact problem are they facing, and what is the problem scenario should be good.

HTH-Cheers,

Swaroop

Hi Swaroop,

Is this method preferred than using the global keyword in the vrf static route for any specific reason.

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Since these kind of leaks are not really advised, and are more of a workaround for intermediate period. Hence more control of what is being done,where and who is required.

This feature provides you with,

1) Granular control on the number of prefixes to be imported.

2) Better administration of the import done as you can trace route-map being used to perform the import and how many prefixes have been imported.

Or else in terms of functionality it provides you the same function as the global vrf static route.

HTH-Cheers,

Swaroop

Hi Swaroop,

Nice, i totally agree with you, but i think that using the global vrf static route would be simpler for small scale implementations, don't you think.

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Ok, let me put it this way for you.

This is more like a best practice and very simple too.

A good feature as a practice should be implemented uniformly.

Dont you think.

HTH-Cheers,

Swaroop

Hi Swaroop,

I agree, it was nice exchanging info with you :)

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

swaroop.potdar
Level 7
Level 7

1) To import GLobal routes in VRF you can use the IPV4 prefix import into VRF.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5207/products_feature_guide09186a00803b8db9.html

2) Now for route leak of VRF in to Global table you need to use a simple static route for the subnets in a given VRF and pointing to the Interface on the PE side which connects to the CE.

This does a two way route leak into VRF and Global table. But such fixup solutions should be used only for a transitionary/migration state, as it would be dificult to maintain the state as is.

HTH-Cheers,

Swaroop

Swaroop

Thank you for the link, but my question is more specific to the 3825 series router, does it work effectively on that box? The reason is that a few of my clients are having difficulty configuring the same.

Thank you

NK