cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Not able to ping own serial interface

sameersharif
Level 1
Level 1

we are using cisco 2610XM router, i faced a problem i was not able to ping the serial interface ip trough router itself but with in 15 to 20 min its started pinging. what can be the cause can any body help me please ?

please refer the log of router

May 17 15:34:28.116: %DUAL-5-NBRCHANGE: IP-EIGRP(0) 10: Neighbor 172.18.1.2 (Ser

ial0/1) is down: holding time expired

May 17 15:35:18.547: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Serial0/1,

changed state to down

May 17 15:57:51.156: %DUAL-5-NBRCHANGE: IP-EIGRP(0) 10: Neighbor 172.18.1.2 (Ser

ial0/1) is up: new adjacency

May 17 15:57:52.607: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Serial0/1,

changed state to up

6 Replies 6

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

Sameer,

You will not be able to ping the Serial interface IP address even from the router if the interface or the line protocol is down.

As seen from the logs, the serial link went down for about 20s and hence you were not able to ping it.

HTH, rate if it does

Narayan

Dear Narayan

Thanks for replying

But serial went down at May 17 15:35:18

and serial came up at May 17 15:57:52

Sameer

Sameer,

Is your clock synchronized with the latst time?

Narayan

Dear Narayan

CLock time is ok, actually i am afraid that one of our team member is creating some problem.

so i want to be aleart ...

you need to identify whether the serial interafce went down at that time.

The fact remains that a serial interface Ip address is reachable when it is Up up

HTH, rate if it does

Narayan

kerek
Level 4
Level 4

Probably it is because while you tried to ping your interface went down and when it started to reply you interface came back. If the line protocol goes down on a particular interface the directly connected route will be flushed from the route table so you won't be able to ping it.

Hope it helps,

Krisztian

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco