Switch IOS upload certification message

Unanswered Question
May 18th, 2007
User Badges:

Hello,

I have uploaded a different IOS to a switch within a test environment for testing purposes, and happened to notice a specific message on the console. I upgraded from an IPbase code to an IPServices to enable routing functionality on a 3750. Has anyone seen the below message or can advise what it means?

"Failed to generate persistent self-signed certificate.

Secure server will use temporary self-signed certificate."

thanks

Phil

Overall Rating: 4.5 (2 ratings)
royalblues Fri, 05/18/2007 - 02:34
User Badges:
  • Green, 3000 points or more

Phil,

Did you ever created a persistent self-signed certificate before upgrading the IOS?

BTW, a 3750 switch is a layer 3 switch and supports basic routing functionalities even with IPbase. You just need to enable it using IP routing command :-)

Narayan

phil_carter Fri, 05/18/2007 - 02:38
User Badges:

Narayan,

IPBase doesn't include OSPF... can you please explain what a persistent self-signed certificate is and what it is needed for?

thanks again...

royalblues Fri, 05/18/2007 - 02:46
User Badges:
  • Green, 3000 points or more

Yes you would definitely require IP services for OSPF. I commented cos u mentioned just routing :-)

The Persistent Self-Signed Certificates feature saves a certificate generated by a secure HTTP (HTTPS) server for the Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) handshake in a router's startup configuration.

Have a look at this link

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5207/products_feature_guide09186a008040adf0.html

HTH, rate if it does

Narayan

russell.turner Sat, 03/08/2008 - 21:04
User Badges:

I had received the same error messages. What I was able to determine and I don't if you have resolved this issue going by the date it was posted is see if you have configure ip domain name. When I configure a ip domain name the command ip http secure-server generated a certificate automatically with out the error. Hopes this help.

Actions

This Discussion