Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch IOS upload certification message

phil_carter
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have uploaded a different IOS to a switch within a test environment for testing purposes, and happened to notice a specific message on the console. I upgraded from an IPbase code to an IPServices to enable routing functionality on a 3750. Has anyone seen the below message or can advise what it means?

"Failed to generate persistent self-signed certificate.

Secure server will use temporary self-signed certificate."

thanks

Phil

4 Replies 4

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

Phil,

Did you ever created a persistent self-signed certificate before upgrading the IOS?

BTW, a 3750 switch is a layer 3 switch and supports basic routing functionalities even with IPbase. You just need to enable it using IP routing command :-)

Narayan

Narayan,

IPBase doesn't include OSPF... can you please explain what a persistent self-signed certificate is and what it is needed for?

thanks again...

Yes you would definitely require IP services for OSPF. I commented cos u mentioned just routing :-)

The Persistent Self-Signed Certificates feature saves a certificate generated by a secure HTTP (HTTPS) server for the Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) handshake in a router's startup configuration.

Have a look at this link

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5207/products_feature_guide09186a008040adf0.html

HTH, rate if it does

Narayan

russell.turner
Level 1
Level 1

I had received the same error messages. What I was able to determine and I don't if you have resolved this issue going by the date it was posted is see if you have configure ip domain name. When I configure a ip domain name the command ip http secure-server generated a certificate automatically with out the error. Hopes this help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card