Views
Helpful
Replies

ip bootp server command

akolobynin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all!

Can anybody say what actually "ip bootp server" command do? Documentation doesn't say nothing concrete about it.

All around say that I must disable this service on router for security reasons, but when I do "no ip bootp server" what router functionality I lose?

3 Replies 3

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Friend,

I will say give this link a try and see is this helps you

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios124/124tcr/tcf_r/cf_03ht.htm#wp1037382

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate al helpfull post

Hi!

Thanks for link. I already have seen it and it didn't help me. Description from this page says that we can disable DHCP services with command 'no service dhcp' and we can disable BOOTP services with command 'ip dhcp bootp ignore'. So what is a difference between commands 'ip dhcp bootp ignore' and 'no ip bootp server'? Both disable BOOTP services.

And second question --- what BOOTP services disables 'no ip bootp server'? BOOTP server or BOOTP relay or something else?

In routers that run older Cisco IOS releases, the ip bootp server command handles the DHCP relay agent function instead of the service dhcp command. Because of this, the ip bootp server command needs to be enabled in these routers if the ip helper-address command is configured to forward DHCP UDP broadcasts and properly act as a DHCP relay agent on behalf of the DHCP client

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card