cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

output of debug command to ssh session

bfrericks
Level 1
Level 1

I can not for the live of me get the output of "debug ip sla monitor trace 1" or any debug for that matter to output to my ssh session. If I console to the router it all show up just fine. anybody have any tips for getting the debug to output to ssh as I can't always get physical connectivity to the router.

Thanks in advance, it is much appreciated!

6 Replies 6

Did you enter the command 'term mon' from the global exec prompt. This is needed to view the console messages on VTY connection.

HTH

Sundar

Blake

Sundar has got what in my experience is the number 1 reason why debug output is not showing up in vty sessions (SSH or telnet).

I would also add that it would be good to check and verify that the logging severity level for monitor is set to debug (that is the default, but I have seen routers where someone has set the severity level for monitor to a different level). Without the logging severity level set to debugging terminal monitor will not solve it. The easy way to check on this is to do show logging. In the first set of lines displayed it will show the severity level of the several logging destinations including monitor.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Yup I did enter that command as well as made sure logging is enabled, logging montior is set to 7 and terminal monitor was executed. The odd part is, even with all of my logging off, if I execute debug arp or debug icmp trace, they will output into my ssh even if I have logging disalbed. I'm baffeled!

Maybe you could post a show logg command , if you can see it something is still turned on .

yup I did, my monitor logging level is set to 7 as well but I get absolutly NO debug output to ssh, even from other debug commands like debug crypto. It all shows up at the console but not in my ssh session. logging is enabled.

Blake

There are some very inconsistent responses in this thread. In one post your say: "The odd part is, even with all of my logging off, if I execute debug arp or debug icmp trace, they will output into my ssh even if I have logging disalbed" and in another post your say: "my monitor logging level is set to 7 as well but I get absolutly NO debug output to ssh, even from other debug commands like debug crypto".

Can you reconcile these differences?

And as Glen suggests, I believe that if you post the first section of output of show logging (at least through the line that shows the monitor logging), that it might be helpful.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card