cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RIP V2 Question

tinu.karki
Level 1
Level 1

Lets say hypothetically there is a router with the following interface IP details:

e0: 10.1.1.0/24

e1: 10.1.2.0/24

s0: 10.1.3.0/24

If i was running RIP V2 on the router how would i go about advertising only ethernet0 using rip. If i use the command:

network 10.1.1.0 firstly i cant put in a subnet/wildcard unlike OSPF/EIGRP and secondly if i do a show run it comes up with "network 10.0.0.0" in the running-config

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

RIP v2 will advertise the mask of the interface associated with the IP address on the e0 interface (the interface with the 10.1.1.0 address).

If you put a NETWORK statement in to advertise 10.1.2.0, then RIP v2 would advertise the mask associated with e1 ... because the e1 interface is assigned the 10.1.2.0 address.

Make sure Auto-summary is disabled.

Good Luck

Scott

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

Tinu,

You can use the passive interface command to stop the RIP updates being sent on the other interfaces

router rip

version 2

network 10.0.0.0

passive-interface default

no passive-interface ethernet 0

no auto-summary

HTH, rate if it does

Narayan

Here is another little-known technique for listen-only interfaces:

router rip

network x.y.z.k passive <--- Hidden command, whoa!

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Tinu

If I am understanding your post correctly, while the discussion of various ways to do passive interface are instructive, I believe that they do not address the original question which is: "advertising only ethernet0 using rip". Passive interface will not send updates on the passive interface but it WILL advertise the subnet of the interface on active interfaces. So passive interface does not meet the original criteria. The way that I would go is to implement a distribute list on the outbound interfaces which denies the subnets of the other 2 interfaces and permits everything else.

I believe that the original post also leaves an aspect as ambiguous: do you want all the interfaces to be active but only advertise the one subnet, or do you want just the one interface to be active? Perhaps you can clarify your question a bit.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

RIP v2 will advertise the mask of the interface associated with the IP address on the e0 interface (the interface with the 10.1.1.0 address).

If you put a NETWORK statement in to advertise 10.1.2.0, then RIP v2 would advertise the mask associated with e1 ... because the e1 interface is assigned the 10.1.2.0 address.

Make sure Auto-summary is disabled.

Good Luck

Scott

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card