Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple ASes

alwahidi22
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everybody,

As i read that EIGRP supports Multiple ASes on a single router but i don't understand this sentence .. so can any one help me to understand it .

And i want to understand how EIGRP redistribute with IGRP the routes...

Regards,

Ibrahim ALwahidi

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

EIGRP multiple ASs are used in designs when it is required to partition your AS, into smaller parts for design consideration, a single EIGRP process is analogous to an area of a link-state protocol. Multiple routing processes can be configured to achieve a hierarchy.

You can configure more than one EIGRP autonomous system on the same router, but Cisco does not recommend it. Multiple EIGRP autonomous systems on the same router that use mutual redistribution can cause discrepancies in the EIGRP topology table. Cisco recommends you configure only one EIGRP autonomous system in any single autonomous system.

HTH, please do rate all helpful replies,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi Ibrahim,

EIGRP supports multiple AS --> You can run multiple EIGRP process using different AS number for each process (up to 30 per a single router) - The process ID or the AS may be any number between 1 and 65535.

Automatic redistribution occurs between EIGRP and IGRP within the same autonomous system - if both have the same AS.

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Thank you Mohammad,

But what is the benefit of using Multiple ASes on the router ..... ?

Regards,

Ibrahim Alwahidi

Hi,

EIGRP multiple ASs are used in designs when it is required to partition your AS, into smaller parts for design consideration, a single EIGRP process is analogous to an area of a link-state protocol. Multiple routing processes can be configured to achieve a hierarchy.

You can configure more than one EIGRP autonomous system on the same router, but Cisco does not recommend it. Multiple EIGRP autonomous systems on the same router that use mutual redistribution can cause discrepancies in the EIGRP topology table. Cisco recommends you configure only one EIGRP autonomous system in any single autonomous system.

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card