Outdoor AP Install for Football Field

Unanswered Question
May 20th, 2007
User Badges:

I am in the middle of a site survey for a college and they would like to provide coverage for their football field and press box area. I have found 2 suitable locations for a 1300 Series Outdoor AP with Integrated Antenna. One is almost straight on the front of the press box which has some pretty thick windows. The distance is a little over 300ft at that location. The other location is to the side of the press box and closer to the box at about 225 feet. Where I would be shooting the RF into some thin metal.

I have surveyed the first location (straight on) using a 1242 with a 9.5dBi antenna and got between -68 to -78 signal strength readings, depending on where I was in the press box. I have not surveyed from the other location yet and am wondering if it is even worth risking my neck going to the other roof to see if it would be worth putting the AP there.

My intent is to use a 1300 Series AP so I know the gain would be a bit higher, but the 9.5di is the highest gain patch I had in the kit.

My other concern is the vertical beamwidth as they also would like guest coverage for the ESPN/TV trucks on the ground near the stands (in the same general location though)

Thoughts, suggestions? Sorry for the long post, it's been a LONG project!

Thanks!

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Rob Huffman Sun, 05/20/2007 - 09:38
User Badges:
  • Super Blue, 32500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 IP Telephony, Unified Communications

Hi Jake,

It certainly sounds like you have done your homework here! If it were me I would go with the location that you have already surveyed (sounds like a good fit). It doesn't sound like you would have much to gain from the other location anyways. If the coverage for the ESPN trucks is just a nice to have bonus then you may be OK, but if the goal is more than this, I would look at installing an AP specifically for this area. I always vote for the added AP vs some sort of bleedover type coverage.

This is my two cents worth, I'm sure others will weigh in on this as well.

Best of luck with the rest of your project!

Rob

Actions

This Discussion

Trending Topics: Other Wireless Mobility

client could not be authenticated
Network Analysis Module (NAM) Products
Cisco 6500 nam
reason 440 driver failure
Cisco password cracker
Cisco Wireless mode