cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF

dangal.43
Level 1
Level 1

i read the OSPF 3 or 4 times from the Jeff Doyle book but still i feel that i didnt know any thing as i have to remember each and every small factors how people memories all those features supported by any routing protocol, timers, packets details etc?

is there any key to remember or get the grip on it?

its make me fustrate, i also want to take CCNA and CCNP certification so how to get it done?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Dangal,

It is definetely tough to remember everything so your key focus should be remember the concepts and how does OSPF works. Do not need to remember packet headers for clearing any certifications.

More and more you work on live ospf implementations you will start recalling things and at that point of time you can refer books and docs.

CCNA and CCNP does not need ospf in that much details but yes your concepts should very very clear to solve the simulation questions.

Also when you go through the books all imp timers you can note somewhere on your notebooks so that when you have to go through you need not have to serach in big fat books and you can have a glance on all the timers in seconds.

HTH

Ankur

View solution in original post

hey Ankur,

After long time..... yes you are true person is not good interviewer if they are asking for the thing which you need to remember... good interviewer is the person who will alsk for the logical and creative stuff... giving some topology and ask to make it up and running as well as topology with problem and ask to correct it logically... and yes DAN Access-list!!!!!!!! its really very big stuff... applying accesslist on interface and write an apropriate access-list its need proper understanding and the logic... as well as you will have to clear from your mind what you want to do.... and then go for it... its really some what easy to use the access-list in route filter with the routing protocol rather than the access-list of the blocking port application and network to prevent the access... and yes i also had hard time with even these days also i have some problem with access list but only key for it is PRACTICE LAB...

Ankur good point out of not using "TAB"

but that is true dan, we have lots of small point to understand and some time yes we have to remember also its really very hard ...

so ankur whats going on? and hows job? any new update on certification you did?

regards

Devang

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Dangal,

It is definetely tough to remember everything so your key focus should be remember the concepts and how does OSPF works. Do not need to remember packet headers for clearing any certifications.

More and more you work on live ospf implementations you will start recalling things and at that point of time you can refer books and docs.

CCNA and CCNP does not need ospf in that much details but yes your concepts should very very clear to solve the simulation questions.

Also when you go through the books all imp timers you can note somewhere on your notebooks so that when you have to go through you need not have to serach in big fat books and you can have a glance on all the timers in seconds.

HTH

Ankur

thanks ankur and jon for your reply. now little bit ok. Yes concept is more important but there are so many small small thing that really one has to remember as during the interviews also they are asking for some timers, LSA types etc....

can you please give me some guidance how to work out for the Access-list? I meet so many cisco network engineer but all most all the engineers are afraid from the access-list, I know again its all about the practice but it will be really good if you provide some hints on it.....?

Hi Dangal,

Trust me if someone is asking about the timers in interview than he/she is not at all a good interviewer. An interviewer should ask you questions regarding job role you are applying and if its a NOC/troubleshooting profile it should be something related to troubleshooting and is it is a design and implementation kind of profile then some scenario related questions should be asked.

Anyways that is a statement on which there can be many arguments. SO I will recommend when you are reading some docs keep a notebook handy and start writing small and minute things as and when you come across and note the timers and what are there functionality. Because when you do not note it or mark it, it is tough to search those again form a chapter like ospf in jeff doyl book which is real lenghty.

For access list as you said there is no escape to practice. So I will suggest you design your own network on a notebook a very complicatd network with many subnets and hosts and multiple routers and then think your own scenarios to block particular host on some port or allow some, I mean keep playing across with your own requirements and write those access lists on book which will always keep the commands and concepts clear. I always make this a practice not to use "TAB key" when working on routers and switches which make you remember commands and if you start writing commands on a notebook without using cisco ios help trust me you will never forget it.

HTH

Ankur

hey Ankur,

After long time..... yes you are true person is not good interviewer if they are asking for the thing which you need to remember... good interviewer is the person who will alsk for the logical and creative stuff... giving some topology and ask to make it up and running as well as topology with problem and ask to correct it logically... and yes DAN Access-list!!!!!!!! its really very big stuff... applying accesslist on interface and write an apropriate access-list its need proper understanding and the logic... as well as you will have to clear from your mind what you want to do.... and then go for it... its really some what easy to use the access-list in route filter with the routing protocol rather than the access-list of the blocking port application and network to prevent the access... and yes i also had hard time with even these days also i have some problem with access list but only key for it is PRACTICE LAB...

Ankur good point out of not using "TAB"

but that is true dan, we have lots of small point to understand and some time yes we have to remember also its really very hard ...

so ankur whats going on? and hows job? any new update on certification you did?

regards

Devang

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

I would just like to stress what Ankur has said. It does depend to some extent on the individual but generally speaking the details tend to stick when you put them into practice.

Reading about the details is a good start and as Ankur has said as long as you get a good idea of the general principles from reading you will be doing okay. But trying to memorise every timer, packet header is disheartening and can demotivate you. Once you start configuring a lot more falls into place.

As an example, i read about MPLS VPN's from 3 different sources. I was sure i understood it until i then set up a lab to configure it. Only then did i fully appreciate how it worked.

HTH and good luck with the study

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card