Views
Helpful
Replies

Custom queing question

Manoj Wadhwa
Level 1
Level 1

Friends,

I am configuring custom queueing on my test router. I realized that even after changing the queue length, the new queue length does not reflect in the interface statistics. Ex. as per the below output, i changed the byte-count of queue 1 to 1000, however in the interface output, it still shows as 20 "1: 0/20/0". Plz assist with this. Thanks!

R1#sh queueing custom

Current custom queue configuration:

List Queue Args

1 2 default

1 2 protocol ip list 110

1 1 byte-count 1000

1 2 byte-count 9000

R1#

R1#sh int se1/0

Serial1/0 is up, line protocol is up

Hardware is M8T-X.21

Internet address is 10.10.20.1/30

MTU 1500 bytes, BW 64 Kbit, DLY 20000 usec,

reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255

Encapsulation HDLC, crc 16, loopback not set

Keepalive set (10 sec)

Restart-Delay is 0 secs

Last input 00:00:01, output 00:00:02, output hang never

Last clearing of "show interface" counters never

Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 0

Queueing strategy: custom-list 1

Output queues: (queue #: size/max/drops)

0: 0/20/0 1: 0/20/0 2: 0/20/0 3: 0/20/0 4: 0/20/0

5: 0/20/0 6: 0/20/0 7: 0/20/0 8: 0/20/0 9: 0/20/0

10: 0/20/0 11: 0/20/0 12: 0/20/0 13: 0/20/0 14: 0/20/0

15: 0/20/0 16: 0/20/0

30 second input rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec

30 second output rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec

106 packets input, 7326 bytes, 0 no buffer

Received 39 broadcasts, 0 runts, 0 giants, 0 throttles

0 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored, 0 abort

68 packets output, 4856 bytes, 0 underruns

0 output errors, 0 collisions, 4 interface resets

0 output buffer failures, 0 output buffers swapped out

5 carrier transitions DCD=up DSR=up DTR=up RTS=up CTS=up

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Manoj

The queue-list queue byte-count counts the number of bytes in packets that are in queue. For this purpose it does not matter how many packets, just how many bytes are in the packets. This is because the queuing is trying to determine how much data to send from this queue at a time and the important variable is how many bytes to transmit (not how many packets).

The queue-list queue limit is used to configure the limit of how many packets can be maintained within the specific queue.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

bjornarsb
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Since you have:

List Queue Args

1 2 default

it refer to list 1 and you have Queueing strategy: custom-list 1 and then you get default. It hits default first. remove 1 2 default .

Try this:#queue-list 1 queue 2 limit 1000,

since its size/max/drops

HTH

Regards,

Bjornarsb

Hi Bjornarsb,

Thanks for your reply. Can you also help me understand what the difference between byte count (queue-list queue byte-count ) and queue-list queue limit commands. Thanks!

Manoj

The queue-list queue byte-count counts the number of bytes in packets that are in queue. For this purpose it does not matter how many packets, just how many bytes are in the packets. This is because the queuing is trying to determine how much data to send from this queue at a time and the important variable is how many bytes to transmit (not how many packets).

The queue-list queue limit is used to configure the limit of how many packets can be maintained within the specific queue.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick,

Thanks for the explanation. I was confused between bytes & packets and your explanation has cleared my confusion. Cheers!

Manoj

Manoj

Yes I agree that it can be a bit confusing in understanding where it is using bytes to establish its controls and where it is using packet counts. I am glad that my answer was helpful.

Thanks for using the rating system to indicate that your question is solved. (and thanks for the rating) It makes the forum more useful when people can read a question and can know that an answer was provided which satisfactorily answered the question. I encourage you to continue your participation in the forum.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: