cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

managing switch

bethamprashanth
Level 1
Level 1

as we know vlan1 is default & native vlan,VLAN1 is used only for Management. & for VLAN1 we assign as IP Address for Management of Switch in remote.

1. I would like to know what are operations we manage on switches. following r the operation that i know correct me if I'm wrong: operations like taking backup, verify configuration detail. and i also request you to add some operation we perform and when & why we perform.

2. what information does vlan1 carrys

what i know is it carry vtp advertisement.

4 Replies 4

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Friend,

We manage switches for making any configuration changes, for any troubleshooting purpose, to get the stats of an interface etc etc.

Vlan 1 carries VTP, CDP , Stp bpdus etc.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

In addition to Ankur's post Cisco best practice says not to use vlan 1 as management or for the native vlan. As a rule you should

1) Use a different vlan for management and shutdown vlan 1 interface.

2) Allocate all unused ports to a non-routed vlan - we use vlan 998 where i work.

3) Allocate a non-routed vlan for use as the native vlan - we use vlan 999.

Vlan 1 has some specific issues with it in terms of security and hence it is recommended not to use it. VTP, CDP & PAGP will still be carried on vlan 1 even if you don't use it.

HTH

Jon

smothuku
Level 7
Level 7

Hi ,

In addition to above posts , it is a layer 2 device then you need to specify "ip deafilt-gateway " for reachability from outisde users which are in different vlan's.

Thanks,

Satish

bethamprashanth
Level 1
Level 1

firstly, I thank you all. You all have given me great information.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card