GRE Tunnels for voice and data

Unanswered Question
May 21st, 2007
User Badges:

Hi All,

I have a new requirement and as per the attached diagram I need to set up two gre tunnels to the same destination with two different throughput i.e. site A and Site B will have a tunnel with 768 Kbps for voice and 256 Kbps for data.

Lets say subnet x.x.x.x for voice and y.y.y.y for data.I need help in getting the best out of a 3640 running 12.0 and another 7200 vxr running 12.0(13). Please give some inputs.

Thanks in advance

Regards

subra4u

Attachment: 
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
spremkumar Mon, 05/21/2007 - 20:27
User Badges:
  • Red, 2250 points or more

Hi

If you are sure that you are not going to use more than 256K for voice then you can configure the same way you have posted out here and configure rate-limit on both the tunnels for the maximum allowed bandwidth so that they dont choke the whole bandwidth available over the main link..

For configuring rate-limit you can refer the below link ...

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1835/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080760d90.html

regds

subra4u Wed, 05/23/2007 - 00:14
User Badges:

Hi Prem,

Thanks for the Immediate Response, We are planning to have Voice for 768 Kbps but as for as the tunnel goes it will be like a data packet between our own custom developed servers.

Thanks & Regards

mheusinger Wed, 05/23/2007 - 03:49
User Badges:
  • Green, 3000 points or more

Hi,

There are some possibilities for voip and data over tunnels.

1) IF the packets pre-tunnel are marked (DSCP, IP precedence) then the GRE headers will also get the same markings. You can then setup a policy on the physical interface towards the internet to prioritize voip.

2) You could use "qos pre-classify" on both routers - newer IOS required though afaik.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1835/products_command_reference_chapter09186a0080087f3c.html

3) use one tunnel and a nested policy.

Why do you need two tunnels?

regards, Martin

Actions

This Discussion