cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Networking Engineer = Good choice for a Career change ?

Qualityitem5
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Cisco forum . I am a 48yr old CNC Engineer in Stoke ( UK ) ,bored to death with it . I am about to take the COMPTIA A+ exam in 4 weeks , which will lead on to the Cisco Networking course ( if I pass ) .Please can you inform me if there will be a career for me ( out there in the real world ), when I complete the full course . Is Networking & its relevant jobs still a Good Career change ? I have found the networking part of the A+ course the most interesting , so I hope that your replies !!! , are favourable . Thanks for any info ( good or bad ) from Rob In Stoke

3 Replies 3

sean
Level 3
Level 3

If you are good at what you do, there will always be a job for you. I think the real question would be, "do you enjoy networking?". If the answer is yes, then I would go for it.

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Robert

As previous poster said, a lot depends on how keen you are to learn networking. I switched from being a Unix admin to a network person because as with you i found the networking parts by far the most interesting. But i had to do a lot of extra work outside normal work hours to get up to an acceptable level.

You will also need a certain amount of luck/persistence. I would certainly encourage you to take the course but as you are already probably aware experience is just as important as knowledge. Is there any chance that within your current job you might be able to get some exposure to networking while you study.

if you can't then i would srongly recommend you try and pick up some second hand kit off e-bay to practice with.

As for good career change. There will always be a demand for good networking people and if you truly enjoy learning about networks you are already well on the way.

I would also recommend having a look at http://www.jobserve.co.uk which will give you an idea of what type of jobs are available in your area and in the UK as a whole.

HTH

Jon

Hi Jon . Thanks for the reply . I think its just an age thing , and the fact that I am revising constantly , whist working a contracted 48hrs a week . I will use my name for my log in . Bye for now from Rob Moseley

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card