cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VMware Server and Ciscoworks LMS - Who's doing it.

mark.sherwin
Level 1
Level 1

This may be something that few want to put their name to due to support reasons.

We know Cisco havn't agreed to support LMS on VMWare as they need to complete testing of the environment. This is fair I guess in the same way that Cisco have tested LMS on all known hardware configurations. Yep right!

What's the difference? there are a few considerations if you want to sniff packets or use a specific MAC but beyond that it's hardware, only virtual.

We have installed it in a Win2k3 VM guest on Server 1.0.1 and ESX 3.01, worked fine but couldn't go into prodcution due to the lack of support. (you have to change the MAC)

My question is, Who is actually doing it??

3 Replies 3

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You won't get names of people, but the official testing of all things LMS happens in our Network Management Technology Group. This is the organization that is responsible for the development, marketing, and release of LMS.

Some of the concerns over virtualization (besides functionality) are performance-related. LMS requires a lot of horse power, and if we say we officially support something, we want to make sure it will give users the proper experience.

But in a virtual world we can allocate resources much more readily than in a physical world.

We can of course dedicate resources (any and/or many) to a specific VM guest.

As most VM implementations utilise fewer very large servers rather than many small servers (not many blades used for VM)there's generally ample resources available at any time and as I say with something as critical as LMS you would dedicate resources to it.

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee