Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch port failover

emadehsan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Dear All,

I have a linux server.be cause of failover I want to add another server with same configuration even Ip address.

I want plug both of them to one cisco switch.

is there any solution to keep on them port,in hot standby mode?

regards

6 Replies 6

sachinraja
Level 9
Level 9

hello emad,

you cannot have two servers on the same switch with the same IP address. you will receive a duplicate ip address message if you plug in the second server.One possible and best solution, will be to position both these servers behind a load balancer (CSS) and assign a logical IP for the inbound connections. the load balancer will put traffic to both these servers at the back end, thus ensuring high availability... if not, you need to have two seperate servers with 2 IPs and have the application programmed for swapping the ip address if the primary goes down !!!

Hope this helps.. all the best..

Raj

hi Dear Raj

can CSS make a failover solution?

Failover is my issue

regards

Yes emad, css can give both failover and load balancing options.. if one of the server goes down, the keepalives to that partcicular server stops, and CSS can push the traffic to the second server automatically. both servers can have a private , secondary NIC card for application mirroring or NAS connectivity. the main interface will connect to the CSS.

Hope this helps.. all the best. rate replies if found useful..

RAj

dear raj

is this possible that I give same ip address two both of my server

this is because my server ip address must be same with hot standby issue.

regards

dear raj

is this possible that I give same ip address two both of my server

this is because my server ip address must be same with hot standby issue.

regards

Hello emad

when you have the content switch (CSS) on your network, you need nt give the same IP to both of your servers.. infact, this wont work at all, if you have the servers in the same LAN, since you will get ip conflict issues.. so, CSS will bind the two real ips into one virtual IP which the end users will see. for eg

real ip of server 1 - 10.10.10.1

real ip of server 2 - 10.10.10.2

virtual ip - 10.10.10.10

so, when the user connects to the server, he will use 10.10.10.10. he will never know how many servers are inside the load director. if 10.10.10.1 fails, the css will automatically forward traffic to 10.10.10.2 hence taking care of hot standby automaticallly...

hope this helps.. all the best.. rate replies if found useful..

Raj

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco