Seek out and shutdown simple routers?

Unanswered Question
May 21st, 2007

I am implementing a customer network currently and I am looking for some way to discover simple devices like Linksys/Netgear routers and sh the port they are attached to.

This is a customer requirement for security and also for billing purposes as there are nearly 100 tenants at this site.

Does anyone know of a way to discover these devices and/or nuke their connection?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
sachinraja Mon, 05/21/2007 - 22:37

Hello blake

Are these devices enabled with SNMP ? if so you can simply do a scan to the subnet and find out all the devices connected on the switch, like switches, routers, PC's , servers etc.. you can use applications like manage-engine software and use the switchport mapper functionality to a good extent....

hope this helps.. all the best..

clausonna Tue, 05/22/2007 - 10:12

Most of the devices you're targeting are going to include firewall functionality. Doing an SNMP scan against the devices won't work, since the FW will block the request, plus the snmp community string will either be unknown or not set.

Also, the router/fw will most likely be doing NAT, so you can't use port-security to limit the number of mac-addresses.

I'd suggest, at least to start, using the 'show mac-address dynamic' command on a switch, spit that to flat file, bring it into excel, sort by mac-address, and then use the first 6 bytes of the mac-address field to lookup the vendor ID (google for Vendor Mac database. I like

Also use 'show mac-address dynamic | inc ' as well as the 'trace mac ip' command.

Obviously this manual process is not perfect, but at least gets you started.

I'd also suggest using nmap ( to port-scan the network. Use the OS detection mechanism and see how it does; even though the end device may block incoming requests nmap may be able to do a fingerprint based on TCP analysis.

Can you provide more details / requirements; maybe we can think of other solutions.

This Discussion