Views
Helpful
Replies

Question about IP addressing

Neuromancer
Level 1
Level 1

This popped into my head and I couldn't figure out the answer:

Say you have a LAN that uses the 20.0.0.0 255.255.0.0 subnet. If Host A on that LAN needs to send a packet to a destination IP 20.0.0.10/16, Host A will ARP for it. What is there happens to be a Host B on the local LAN with IP address 20.0.0.10/8. The ARP request doesn't send out a subnet mask. Won't Host B mistakenly think the ARP request is for it?

Any input is appreciated!

2 Replies 2

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Chris,

Yes the host B will reply to the ARP request and they will be able to communicate with each other.

Regards,

Ankur

Chris

Ankur's answer is correct. But I would like to go a bit deeper into the question and give a slightly different answer. The question suggests that there is a host with 20.0.0.10/16 and also Host B with 20.0.0.10/8. That is a serious problem in the network because now there are 2 hosts with duplicated IP address (the fact that they have different masks does not make them different addresses). If there are 2 hosts with the same IP address, then both hosts will respond to the ARP request and Host A will choose one of the responses and use that MAC address. It is therefore unpredictable which of the hosts will actually receive the IP packets.

It is a cardinal rule of IP networking that there should not be duplicated host addressing within the network. This question violates that principle.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco