Views
Helpful
Replies

QOS question - CBWFQ & WRED

lgontarsk
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a customer that has a problem (large FTP files) that I'd like to set up QOS to resolve. The problem is, that this customer only controls his router - he doesn't control the other end of the link. The FTPs are being sent from the other end of the link to my customer's router.

I thought that I might configure CBWFQ & WRED on the inbound on my customer's router. But... I'm not sure of the order of events. Does any one know which occurs first on inbound - CBWFQ or WRED?

Does anyone have any other possible solutions to resolve this?

Thanks!

LisaG

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

sachinraja
Level 9
Level 9

Hello Lisa

See if the following URL helps you:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/105/qos_orderofop_3.html

it gives you the order of operation of qos, in both inbound and outbound directions.. anyway for diffserve to work well, you need to do qos on each hop from the source to destination. since u have control to only one router, maximum you can do is to police or shape the traffic based on applications. you can use CAR to do shaping in an efficient way.

hope this helps.. all the best . rate replies if found useful..

Raj

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

sachinraja
Level 9
Level 9

Hello Lisa

See if the following URL helps you:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/105/qos_orderofop_3.html

it gives you the order of operation of qos, in both inbound and outbound directions.. anyway for diffserve to work well, you need to do qos on each hop from the source to destination. since u have control to only one router, maximum you can do is to police or shape the traffic based on applications. you can use CAR to do shaping in an efficient way.

hope this helps.. all the best . rate replies if found useful..

Raj

Thanks so much!

That was an awesome URL.

LisaG

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card