QOS for voice - question

Answered Question
May 22nd, 2007

Hi,

I have a customer that has a problem (large FTP files) which are interfering with their voice calls. I'd like to set up QOS to resolve. The problem is, that this customer only controls his router - he doesn't control the other end of the link. The FTPs are being sent from the other end of the link to my customer's router.

I thought that I might configure CBWFQ & WRED on the inbound on my customer's router, since I can't control the other end. But... I'm not sure of the order of events. Does any one know which occurs first on inbound - CBWFQ or WRED?

Does anyone have any other possible solutions to resolve this?

Thanks!

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by jconi about 9 years 6 months ago

Hello,

If the Voice traffic goes from the remote site to the local site, configure CBWFQ on your local router will solve one part of the problem, because you need to configure QOS on every equipement on your link, i.e the Voice traffic will still have problem on the remote router in the direction Remote--->Local.

Concerning your question, first you queue (CBWFQ), then you drop (WRED) when the queue is nearly full.

I'm sorry but you must configure QOS on the other end.

jp

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Correct Answer
jconi Tue, 05/22/2007 - 06:13

Hello,

If the Voice traffic goes from the remote site to the local site, configure CBWFQ on your local router will solve one part of the problem, because you need to configure QOS on every equipement on your link, i.e the Voice traffic will still have problem on the remote router in the direction Remote--->Local.

Concerning your question, first you queue (CBWFQ), then you drop (WRED) when the queue is nearly full.

I'm sorry but you must configure QOS on the other end.

jp

Actions

This Discussion